Vastu is not a religion, it's a science.
The Main entrance should not face either intersections of roads, or an approaching dead end road. Nor should it be obstructed by tall structures like trees or lamp posts. If it has steps leading to the house, then build an even number of steps.
West is the direction of Saturn, representative of the masses and therefore also of their feeding mouths and hunger. Vastu shastra directs that the eating room should be located in the Western side of the house.
Agni, the vedic god of fire, resides in South-East. Vastu therefore recommends that the kitchen should be loacated in the South-Eastern corner.
A Vastu house has odd number of rooms. Count all rooms which have a door.
The ideal direction to place the altar is North-Eastern direction.
Plan a balcony in North or East. A balcony in South is not recommended.
Ideally the bathroom should be located in East. If that is not possible, then the next best direction is North.
Design to have an even number of beams in a room. But do not sleep under the beams as it is likely to cause health complications.
Plan the Master bedroom in South or South-Western corner of the house. A room in North-Western corner should be given to the newly-weds in the family. In either case avoid sleeping with feet facing South because it drains away the body energy.
Cash and Valuables
Place them in a cupboard on the Northern side, preferably in a room which is in Northern side.
Vastu warns that a house should not have a total number of 3, 6 or 11 windows.
Plan the house to have even number of doors
Even numbers of pillars promote harmony in the house.
A staircase is considered to be 'heavy'. Its preferred direction is South or West. Do not have a staircase in North-Eastern part of the house.
Avoid the construction of a toilet in the North-eastern part of the house. It would spell disaster. Plan to have it between South and South-Western side of the house.
West, South Tall trees are fine in S and W, but should be avoided in N and E.
East Facing House
West Facing House
North Facing House
South Facing House
- It is best to leave only maximum 5 doors open.
- Avoid keeping a T.V. set in bed-room.
- Avoid keeping any water feature or plants in the bed room.
- Arrange the furniture to from a square or a circle or an octagon in.
- Brighten the corners.
- Place a picture of bright sunrise on southern wall in living room.
- The wind should come from south-west in the bed room.
- Dining-room should not expose to the front door of your house.
- Never put mirror in kitchen.
- Keep the broom and mops out of the sight in kitchen.
- Keep the bathroom and toilet door closed as much as possible.
- Windows should open outward normally.
- Do not keep prickly cactus, plants in the house.
- Place an aquarium in the south-east corner in living room.
- Place a happy family picture in living room.
- Don’t grown very high trees like Bangan, Pipal, Thornytrees.
- Cheque the gate of the lift is not in front of the main gate of the house.
- There should not be any room which has shape.
- There should not be obstructive houses surrounding your plot.
- The house should be fully airy and has enough water resource.
- The seat in the latrin should be NORTH-SOUTH.
- In the office, sit facing the door.
- Hang a picture of mountains behind you in the office.
- Place the computer on your right side on the table.
- One should never hoard stale food, withered flowers, torn clothes, waste paper, waste materials, empty tins, old jars and useless things. These things prevent Lakshmi from entering the house.
- If there is marble flooring in the house you should see that the old leather shoes are not lying here and there. Marble is considered to be holy stone. If possible avoid marble in bedroom, bathroom, and latrine.
- In a place of worship in the house it is necessary to have open atmosphere. Use marble in the worship room. Take care that there is enough light and air. Latrine should not be near worship room.